There is one current position available: Director of Music
All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Phoenix, Arizona seeks a full-time Director of Music to lead our outstanding traditional music program. All Saints’ is a large church with a pre-k through 8th grade day school of 500 students.
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional choral conductor with a passion for teaching musicians of all ages, a strong organist, a detail-oriented administrator, a kind and caring pastoral presence, an energetic and innovative builder of programs, and a collegial staff member. Grounded in the inclusive, Episcopal faith, our Director of Music will demonstrate deep love for and knowledge of our Anglican musical tradition, while appreciating the best new music being written for the Church.
Our choral program includes 8 staff singers who form the basis for both the Senior Choir of 45 members, and the Chamber Choir of 12 members. Choral Fellows and Choral Scholars are recruited from local high schools and colleges and join us twice each month. The Chorister program of 55-65 students is administered through the day school, and is an RSCM program.
Our choirs sing at 9 and 11am on Sundays, and at monthly choral Evensong, during the program year. Our church music staff includes a full-time Music Associate, who does much of the organ playing, some of the choral conducting, and who directs the Handbell Choir.
The church has outstanding acoustics for choral and organ music, with a glorious, well-maintained tracker organ of 33 stops built by Visser and Associates.
Reports to: the Rector
The Director of Music is responsible for leading, maintaining, and growing our music program, collaborating with the Rector to set its vision, directing our choirs, playing the organ some of the time, and overseeing the music staff (the Music Associate and staff singers), as well as the program’s administrative needs and budget.
• Providing music for our worship (directly or through our music staff): Saturday 5pm and Sunday 7:30 am (organ), Sunday 9 and 11am (organ and choir), monthly Evensong (organ and choir), choral mass setting monthly at 11am, children’s chapel (during 9am service), weddings and funerals, and other worship from time to time, as well as Chorister performances, and Senior Choir and Chorister tours. Worship is reverent, mostly traditional, mostly Rite Two with some Rite One and Enriching Our Worship, using mostly the Hymnal 1982 for congregational singing.
• Recruiting and rehearsing choirs (Senior Choir and Chamber Choir Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings, day school Choristers four times weekly).
• Administrative leadership of the music program, including hiring and supervision of the Music Associate and staff singers, planning music and maintaining the large music library, planning rehearsals and rehearsal schedules, overseeing the music budget of $77,500 (not including the Director of Music and Music Associate positions), handling copyrights and permissions, coordinating with the Director of Communications for bulletins and advertising, overseeing maintenance of our organ and pianos, and interacting with the day school regarding the Chorister program.
• Working with other staff and volunteers in fundraising.
• Creatively engaging the wider community to grow the program.
• Strong organizational and administrative skills
• Collegial team player with good people skills
• Effective communicator and teacher, comfortable working with all ages
• Creativity and passion for growing the music ministry
• Education: Masters Degree or higher in Choral Conducting and/or Organ Performance
• At least three years of experience as choir director and/or church organist
• Substantial choral directing experience with all ages
• Organ performance
• Experience with Anglican musical and liturgical tradition and RSCM training strongly preferred
The salary range is $70,000 - $75,000, plus some weddings ($250) and funerals ($150 each). Excellent benefits, including health insurance for up to full family, retirement, continuing education of $1,500, moving expenses, four weeks vacation, and up to two weeks continuing education/professional development.
Send resume or CV, a letter of interest (including how your most recent program has grown through your leadership), and samples of choral conducting and/or organ playing to:
(required: put "Music Director Search" as subject line)
Director of Music Search
All Saints’ Episcopal Church
6300 North Central Ave.
Phoenix, Arizona 85012
Scroll down the page from the link above to hear samples of our choir.
Explore our website to get a feel for our church community, our love of tradition and liturgy, and our dedication to our music program.
Here are some reasons why All Saints’ is a great place to serve:
It’s gratifying to serve with energetic, supportive, fun colleagues. Our staff of 12 works collaboratively towards our common mission. God is doing great things at and through All Saints’, and it is fulfilling to be part of something meaningful.
Between our church and day school, there is never a dull moment at All Saints’, with lots of activity during the school and program year on our campus and in the community.
We have some of the best traditional liturgy and music in The Episcopal Church. We worship from the Book of Common Prayer an average of 14 times per week, including day school chapels, Evening Prayer, Centering Prayer, Rosary Prayer, monthly choral Evensong, weddings and funerals.
All Saints’ is a diverse congregation: Republicans and Democrats, young families and seniors, gays and lesbians, singles, wealthy and poor, from different backgrounds. We are united in a centrist, non partisan, healthy community of respect that follows Jesus Christ in the Episcopal tradition as we pray, learn, serve and connect with God and each other.
We take our spiritual formation seriously. Our members appreciate learning about the faith. We average 40 children and youth in Sunday school, and about as many adults in our adult classes. We have a solid foundation, but seek to grow in numbers and discipleship.
We are committed to serving those in need in our city and beyond. We have active partnerships with many local agencies, including ICM Food and Clothing Bank, Habitat for Humanity, André House, and JustFaith, PACC-911 Phoenix Animal Care Coalition, St. Mary's Food Bank, Mission of Mercy, and internationally with Saint Paul’s Church and School in Haiti.
We love to have fun and fellowship together and so we have numerous fellowship opportunities every month!
For more information about our day school, click here.
The weather. Phoenix has more than 300 days of sunshine per year. Sure, the summer is hot, but the late fall, winter, and spring are amazing.
Phoenix has all the amenities of a big city: music and the arts, sports teams, outdoor activities, and great cuisine.
The Southwest is a rich and unique landscape and culture.
Phoenix is affordable for a major city. Have we mentioned the sunshine?
Learn more about Phoenix in general:
The Episcopal Diocese of Arizona www.azdiocese.org
Phoenix Convention & Visitor’s Bureau: www.visitphoenix.com
The Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce www.phoenixchamber.com
Arizona Office of Tourism www.azot.gov
The Arizona Republic www.azcentral.com